For Valentine’s Day I made heart-shaped chicken nuggets. I’m not a great Pinterest mom but occasionally I impress myself. 😉
This recipe is from a friend of mine. It’s simple, delicious, and healthy. The kids and I devoured them. Served with sweet potato fries and spinach, it makes a great meal.
Sweet Potato Chicken Nuggets
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup flax meal
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1tsp onion powder
- 1 lb. chicken breasts
- 1 small sweet potato, steamed and skin removed
- 1 garlic clove
- Seasonings of your choice – I use salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, oregano, and parsley
- Preheat oven to 375*F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pour oatmeal into a food processor and grind about 20 seconds. I like when some pieces are still large and some are very fine. Pour into a bowl. Mix in flax meal, cheese, onion and garlic powder. Set aside. (This will be your breading.)
- Into the food processor, put chicken breasts, sweet potato, garlic clove, and seasonings. Blend this together until well combined.
- (Here comes the gross part!) Spoon out 1 spoonful of chicken nugget mixture and put into breading. Roll it around until completed covered.
- Place chicken nugget onto parchment lined baking sheet. You can now shape it into any shape you’d like. Continue this process until all the chicken nugget mixture is gone.
- Place in the oven for 18-20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
I hope you likes these as much as my kids and I do! You can also easily add in some hidden vegetables. I think carrots and cauliflower would taste good. I thought about adding beets to make them red but opted to leave them out this time. If your kids don’t mind seeing green flecks in their food (my 6 y/o does) some spinach, kale, or broccoli could totally be added to the mixture.